Sunday, February 1, 2015

Place Value Fun

This week my kiddos are really having some Place Value fun. I found they have a sense of hundreds already before I introduced it. So I just keep them more interactive with kids and can play with their hands.

1. Drawing on their tables is always their favorite. We used dry-erase markers to draw place value mat on tables. Since I'm short of base ten blocks, I just asked them to draw models when I said a number. They definitely loved it.


2. Marshmallow Fun. When I took marshmallows out, they could not wait to ask: Can I eat? Of course in Chinese. That's super fun. They will firstly build a place value mat using marshmallows and toothpicks. I will call out a three-digit number, and they will make the number using Froot loops (they smell good). The original ideas are from Abby's Marshmallow Math And then I made my own Chinese version. Please let me know if you need my Chinese version. 






3. Bull's eye was also a hit. They love to draw their own mat and use it. They also asked to bring it home after we were done with the activity. The original idea is from What the Teacher Wants.









4. A simple activity we played when I'm trying to test their number sense. I asked my kids to write three numbers on each index card. I will call out "make the greatest number", "make the least number". They will make numbers according to the requirement. I also tested their odd/even sense by asking them to make even and odd numbers. Since we are learning in Chinese. It is a little bit difficult for them to do odd and even. 





5. I'm learning. I'm learning sketching on iPad these days. I used the app named Paper and bought the 53 stylus pen. It was so much fun. 
That's all for my Place Value fun post. See y'all next week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment