Monday, February 16, 2015

More Place Value and FREEBIE

Hey y'all. This week, we are all about comparing numbers. Time is always tight in my class since I only have a half day with them each day. I tried to do my best to come up with fun activities while they are still learning. 

I will talk a little about this and about that. 

1. Comparing numbers caper

I modified the activity from First Grade W.O.W. She has so many great ideas. And since it is winter, I created the winter version of the comparing numbers caper. 



I print out the snow flake templates and laminate to use later. I made a trail for them with 100 as the first number and 1000 as the last number. I'm teaching three digit numbers now. But if you are having smaller numbers, just change the range. Students roll three numbers and record their numbers on the snow flake with the least to greatest order in mind. They super loved this game.

Then they have their own worksheet to complete. Click the picture to download the FREEBIE.




2. Comparing numbers Tic-Tac-Toe. Simply pair up students and give each student a dry-erase marker. Ask them to roll three dice each and compare. The player with the greater number can mark a circle or X as whatever s/he chose. Play until one player get three in a row. If you don't want your students to mark on your desk, simply use a Tic-Tac-Toe mat. Super easy activity!


3. Fortune teller. My kids love love love the fortune teller. I remembered that this is what I was playing when I was a kid. I don't know if they will love it or not. But fortunately, they love it so much. I didn't locate the original resource, sorry. I cannot share it with you. But just an idea. (with word problems in it)


4. Blog design. I started my blog design weeks ago and I'm addicted to it. I love to make my blog prettier and prettier. I customized my own blog and here is one of my teacher friends' blog. 



5. The Art of The Brick. Just want to share with you the Lego Show. It was an amazing experience. It's at The Franklin Institute at Philadelphia, PA. 





6. Happy Valentine's Day. This is my first ever Valentine's experience at an Elementary School. I love how kids share their love and kindness with each other. It would be a valuable experience for me. Happy Valentine's Day. Teacher, You Rock!



As a first year teacher, I'm also touched when a parent reached me and said my child was totally changed and being optimistic because of you. I will conclude this post with my tears. See y'all, dear teacher friends. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day and enjoy school.

No comments:

Post a Comment