Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tagxedo city

When we teach language, culture part is always a crucial part. City is an important and necessary element when introducing culture.

I think teachers all know Wordle, as an online tool to make word clouds. In fact, even though I know Wordle for a long time, I still do not have any idea about how to use it effectively in language teaching. 

Not long ago, when I was browsing a teacher's blog, I found that she used Wordle to ask students to differentiate words like adjectives, nouns, etc. That is a great idea to check students understanding regarding to vocabulary. 

Today when I was watching a teacher's video on YouTube, I found her background was the London Bridge made by word clouds. It is really a fabulous idea, and I think students will definitely like it. As a tool, I can also use this craft as a mini city to teach them Chinese culture. 

First I searched a picture of Xian, which is an old city in China. 

Then I used this picture to make my word clouds of Xian city.


Here is what it turned out on Tagxedo. I used Tagxedo instead of Wordle because Wordle does not support Chinese character.

Then I printed this picture out on a white paper. I also printed out the city's name on a paper in a different color. I cut out the image and glued it on the colored paper.


I will laminate it and I can use it in any of my classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment